It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:55 pm

Coaching 
Site Admin

Post Coaching
What do you think about coaching? Should it be allowed? What rules should be with coaching? Why is it still prohibited?

Personally, I think it should be allowed. Tennis is an individual sport and we see coach's helping in all other individual sports (table tennis, boxing, wrestling). We can think only about whether it could be a permanent coach availability on the bench or only after set or number of gems. I think it is so prevalent in other sports and it gives a better entertainment for audience. Obviously, we can say that can impair players' awareness and decision-making but it depends on players. I think coaching should be allowed and it could strenghten role of the coach and tactics in tennis. What do you think?

Sat May 12, 2012 2:37 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Coaching
I believe tennis is one of the most mentally and physically challenging sports. There are many circumstances that can influence the outcome of the match. A coach is responsible for preparing the player for as many of those as possible, but it is impossible to be ready for everything. I love watching how players respond to changes… opponent changed the way of playing, wind was stronger, the sun came out, a spectator screamed some ridiculous commends, referee had a bad call, the player got injured…. Situations like those challenge the maturity of players, and it is big part of this sport. The player-coach talk between sets might be useful for the level of performance. At the same time, having a coach all the time at the court might start the competition between coaches and take away some responsibilities from players.

Sat May 12, 2012 11:28 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
Post Re: Coaching
I've got to agree with previous opinions. Coaching would influence tennis match course but I think that would be more visible in youth tournaments. To explain, young athletes that are not experienced enough are not capable of analyzing plays and strokes efficiency. That is a role of coach to focus on that aspect and deliver advantageous tips. On the other hand, I can't imagine permanent court-stand talks so it should be allowed maybe twice a set. This change I'm sure would make impact and court situation would change much more often. Tennis must progress and this is another step after "challenge calls" ...

Sun May 13, 2012 4:07 pm
Profile E-mail